Q & A with “Fast” Eddie Chambers


As the old saying goes it’s not the size of the dog in the fight it’s the size of the fight in the dog” and this certainly applies to “Fast” Eddie Chambers. He lives in a world of Heavyweight giants, pretty much every opponent in his career has had height, reach and weight advantages over him. As you can see by his 36-2(18) record among the pro’s he’s more than held his own. The 29 year old debuted back in 2000 and learned on the job until he started 2007 when he made a move from the Heavyweight pack beating Derric Rossy KO7, Dominick Guinn PTS10 & then outpointing Calvin Brock in an IBF title eliminator. That win set him up to fight Alexander Povetkin, a former Olympic gold medalist. It was to be Chambers first defeat but he had learned a lot from fighting on the road for the first time as a pro. After four more wins the later being against Samuel Peter who he outpointed. He again traveled to Germany, this time he took on 6’7 behemoth Alexander Dimitrenko who outweighed him by in excess of 40 pounds. Not to be denied he boxed the fight of his life stunner the previously unbeaten Ukrainian again on points. The win set him up for a title challenge when he met Wladimir Klitschko in Germany in early 2010. Like many men previous he found it difficult to get past the big man and was stopped late in the twelfth. It hasn’t affected his desire, after 11 months off when he let the battle scars mentally & physically heal he rebounded to outpoint old adversary Rossy over the distance back in February. No he intends to watch several other fights play out over the next few months before looking for another big fight.



Hello, Eddie, welcome to 15rounds.com
Anson Wainwright – Back in February you returned from a near year long absence and beat Derric Rossy. Can you tell us about the fight and how happy you were to be back in action?
Eddie Chambers – Umm well I wasn’t happy with my performance. I feel like to a degree I gave my best but I still expected more from me even in the weakened state I was. It was a good comeback fight; there was a lot on the line. I just really wanted to dazzle the crowd and also get a stoppage, that’s what I expected. Beat the guy like I beat him the last time (Chambers scored a seventh round TKO over Derric Rossy in 2007) Of course he’s gotten better, but no matter how much better he is than before I think, I’m on another level and I think I’d have proved it further if I’d stopped him. But all the respect to Rossy who took the shots and continued to fight the way he did through out the fight.
Anson Wainwright – Though it’s early days when are you looking at fighting next & who are you targeting?
Eddie Chambers – Well honestly with me I’m just targeting the top guy. My goal obviously is to be world champion and I’ve been close at one time or another. I think that’s where I should be looking but everything that will get me toward that, any kind of fight with name fighters. I know there’s some fights already made up and I just want to let them happen so I won’t make any decision right away with Haye fighting Wladimir, Adamek fighting Kevin McBride. So there’s really not a lot for me to go at right now as far as top contenders for the titles. So we’ll just sit back and wait just a bit. Then jump in with whoever’s ready. Of course you know and everybody knows I’ll fight anybody and I’m looking for that soon. So hopefully I get that opportunity to fight for the title again. I’d like to fight Haye but of course he’s fighting Wladimir and not looking to fight a tough fight with me who’s not really to well known to away fans. He wouldn’t have much to make from me & Wladimir as well, but it’s not to be because what’s the point he’s beaten me already all he has is to lose. So why not just go about there business and fight each other and leave me in the rear view. I’d love to get those guys in the ring & hopefully that comes very very soon.
Anson Wainwright – Of course in 2010 you challenged Wladimir Klitschko for his IBF & WBO Heavyweight titles; you were stopped late in the twelfth. What can you tell us about that fight from your point of view? Was it a good learning curve despite the defeat? How good do you think he is?
Eddie Chambers – You’ve got to say great. I believe I’m just as good as anybody period, skill wise and ability wise but they go into the fight with a plan coupled with Emmanuel Steward but there’s no unbeatable force right now. I believe If I had had the right plan and been in the right state of mind to execute that plan I think just as he was successful, I could of been successful, it just happens that way. But he has a heck of a championship pedigree, he’s been there years now, he’s been world number one for a long time. He has to go down in the era as one of the greats of Boxing especially Heavyweight Boxing. So the plan they had worked to perfection as it does most other times. When I say perfection there was a lot of difficulty he had with me in some areas as far as landing some shots, there was frustration there but that’s because of my ability and toughness. I didn’t bring enough focus to deal with the preparation he had. I was in great shape I was prepared physically but mentally I wasn’t prepared for what It meant, when you see 55,000+ in the stadium I realized this is something big and then when you get in the ring you realize there’s a whole lot more on the line and you have to get your feet wet a little bit. I didn’t have a huge amateur background, I did have experience but I was never really able to see that before except in the fight before which was Dimitrenko which was on a much smaller scale, though it was important to my career. I’ve seen it and fought the great Klitschko now I have to prove I’m great. I may never get another shot at him (Wladimir) but at least there will be some guys that I can prove that on in the future.
Anson Wainwright – You didn’t fight in 11 months after the Klitschko fight. What did you do with your time off?
Eddie Chambers – Well I took about 11 month’s total. I took it off because it was necessary. I even talked to Emmanuel Steward and he gave advice to me. You see a lot of guys and they get stopped or lose a big fight and it takes a lot out of them physically and mentally and guys comeback straight away and you can’t do that. You take that physical trauma and that’s enough as it is then you take the mental beating you give yourself for losing. You lose that opportunity and it hurts, it takes some getting used to it. I’m not going to lie I sat around most days and didn’t enjoy anything for awhile. I didn’t go outside, I didn’t see people because of how I felt, it hurt. There was so much riding on it in my mind. It takes some serious heart, it’s a rough period and you have to find something which you enjoy and that’s what I did in the time off and tried to enjoy myself best I can. Once I got back I didn’t forget the Klitschko thing because that’s something you need to remember in your mind but now I’m turning the page in my career and trying to start another run.
Anson Wainwright – Who are members of team Eddie Chambers; Who’s your manager, trainer & promoter? Also what gym do you train at?
Eddie Chambers – My manager and trainer is one person right now Robert Murray Snr and my promoter is Dan Goossen. I train at James Shuler’s Memorial gym in West Philadelphia.
Anson Wainwright – You weigh around 210 which isn’t much over the Cruiserweight limit. How tempting is it to drop down a few pounds and try to win a world title there? Especially with a possible Super 6 tournament and even a fight with fellow Philly fighter Steve Cunningham?
Eddie Chambers – Oh I would hope I never have to fight Steve. He’s a friend of mine but we both understand the sport. It was tempting (To drop down to Cruiserweight) at one time; it was more tempting when I was challenging to be Heavyweight champion of the world. I could say hey while I’m waiting I could prove how good an athlete I am by going down and fight for the Cruiserweight championship as well. That’s a little greedy but that’s a challenge, that’s the kind of thing I was trying to put out there. I thought of it at one time but I just believe going down would be like a step back, most people would expect me to do so well and dominate what if god forbid I had a tough fight or lost a fight in the Cruiserweight division their going to look at me an say he wasn’t much anyway. My stock would drop, even If it was a tough fight where they expect you to blow these guys out because your bigger faster and stronger and they say he’s not as good as we thought he was.
Anson Wainwright – You’re from Pittsburgh can you tell us about how life was growing up and how it took you into Boxing?
Eddie Chambers – Well my upbringing was tough, very tough at times. It as tough on me dealing with some kids, I was a real good kid and it made it more tough. I think what got me into it was my father, he used to fight too and he could see what was going on. He heard something’s about some of the kids and I really didn’t have the most confidence. He got a bit tired of hearing about me dealing with some guys giving me problems so he said “I’m going to create a monster” make me a tough guy or at least at that time give me some confidence. I was a little chubby kid and and some kids picked on me not physically more verbally. So he took me to the gym so I could defend myself, I didn’t honestly want to do it, It took me awhile to get me in the gym and stay in the gym. I was trying to avoid the fights at all costs. He took me in and the first day I sparred, handled the kid. I did well and I was sort of surprised but it didn’t do to much to me because I had a couple of tough sparring sessions after that and I was thinking this wasn’t something I really wanted to do, get hit in the face and head and didn’t plan it as a career for myself. So I just went out the next tournament, the Golden Gloves. I fought the first fight and I beat the kid half to death basically and I was thinking this was a fluke so in the next round I stopped the guy in the first round. So I was like wow I’ll keep going till I lose. It took me ten fights before I lost in the amateurs and I had 8 straight stoppages and that loss was just before a National tournament. I thought this is something to do and I seem pretty good at it and as I progressed I continued to get better and better and better. I went to the Olympic trials; I tried that didn’t make it. I think I was more suited to the professional game. I only had 4 years amateur, a lot of kids have there first fight at like 8 years old. I turned professional at 18 and did more of my real learning when I turned professional, once I go to that point I pretty much had everything under control and I real started to develop at that time and I learned at a good pace. That’s pretty much how it happened.
Anson Wainwright – One of the biggest fights in Boxing appears likely to take place this summer with Wladimir Klitschko unifying with David Haye. What do you think of that fight how do you see it going?
Eddie Chambers – Honestly I think David Haye has a good shot if he can land a good shot. But I think by 4, 5, 6 Wladimir will hit his groove, use his jab, line that right hand up. It will be difficult for Haye to land, Haye could land over the top and with his speed you never know. I think Wladimir’s height and reach it’ll be hard for David Haye. Towards the middle rounds Wladimir will land a couple of right hands and it’ll be over.
Anson Wainwright – Away from Boxing can you tell us a little about yourself, what are your Interests & Hobbies?
Eddie Chambers – Most of them are still sports besides video games and when I’m playing them there sports games. I love to play Basketball and I also love to bowl. I’ve been working at my bowling game and been doing pretty well with it. Just spend time with friends; I’ve just done a road trip with family and friends to visit others. These are things I like to do.
Anson Wainwright – Have you ever bowled a perfect game?
Eddie Chambers – No, I’ve bowled a clean game but never a perfect game. Honestly my highest score and some people would laugh is about 215. I’m learning still. It’s fun and a good sport. Hopefully one day I’m good enough to play in the US open, I’ll keep working on it.
Anson Wainwright – Finally do you have a message for the Heavyweight division?
Eddie Chambers – Honestly it’s not an I’m going to knock everyone out type of message, I just encourage the guys out there to give me a shot, or lets make great fights for the fans to enjoy. I think that would be the best thing to Boxing especially the Heavyweight division. If we can get that done we could really turn some heads. People mention MMA more than Boxing and it’s tough when you perform in it and not get a real fan base. I just really hope we can make the best fights out there.
Best Wishes & thanks for your time Eddie.
Anson Wainwright

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...